Main content



150 moments poll

Cast your vote on the current week of moments from the following:

   View Results

page select

  • Select a week
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22

results text

newspaper logo

One moment from the history of Australian Football 150 Years will appear each day in the Herald Sun, the Advertiser and the Mercury, for 150 days.

Voting is open for one week on each round of moments, starting every Monday.

Don't forget to cast your weekly vote and have your say on the most memorable moment from Australian Football 150 Years.

the Moments

Moment #86: Plugger's Point

TONY Lockett’s arrival in Sydney was the biggest thing to happen to Australian football in the Harbour City since the heady days of Warwick Capper & Co.

Lockett transferred from St Kilda in 1995 and kicked 110 goals in his first season. In 1996 he was even more impressive, but a groin injury late in the season threatened to derail his team’s run to the premiership.

The Swans finished the home-and-away season on top, and in a home preliminary final faced Essendon, which had finished sixth but came into the match on the back of an 11-goal win over West Coast. Sydney had reached the final after a one-goal victory over Hawthorn, minus Lockett and his damaged groin.

Plugger was back for the prelim, but he struggled early as Essendon pulled away to a four-goal lead. The game ebbed and flowed, and with minutes to play the Bombers still led by 12 points. The Swans managed two goals deep into time, and with only seconds on the clock Lockett marked about 50m out. Still hampered by his groin, he gave the kick everything and it sailed through for a point, and the Swans were into their first grand final for 51 years.

Moment #87: Saints' first win – round one 1900

TO SAY St Kilda’s early years in the VFL were tough is an understatement.

They lost every match between 1897 and 1899, with the low point coming in the final game of that 1899 season when they kicked a league record low score of 0.1 against Geelong’s 23.14 (162).

When the Saints finally did break through for their first win – in round one of the 1900 season – it came in extraordinary circumstances.

The Saints were a point up approaching the final bell at the Junction Oval when Melbourne captain Dick Wardill kicked the tying behind.

The Saints protested that Wardill had taken his mark after the bell and after a meeting the following Friday the VFL awarded St Kilda a one-point victory.

It was the Saints' only win for the season, while Melbourne went on the take the premiership.

The Saints first celebrated a win at the final bell in round 12, 1901 when they beat Carlton by a single point. However, that was their only win that season and they went winless again in 1902.

After a recruiting drive the Saints improved dramatically in 1903, winning seven games and drawing one. But it of course took until 1966 for them to win their first and so far only flag – by one point.

Moment #88: Sirengate at Launceston

AS THE timekeepers’ clock ran down to zero at in the St Kilda-Fremantle clash at Launceston’s Aurora Park in round five, 2006, field umpire Matthew Nicholls blew his whistle for a ball up. Welcome to Sirengate.

The siren had sounded, but the field umpires had not heard it.

Fremantle was leading by a point, but as Dockers players began to celebrate the ball was bounced. It spilled to St Kilda’s Steven Baker, whose shot on goal went through for a behind, drawing the match. The siren had sounded again as he kicked, this time heard by umpire Hayden Kennedy, who called an end to the game.

Amid scenes of extraordinary confusion, Baker was gifted another kick because he had been interfered with by Fremantle’s Daniel Gilmore. Baker missed this shot, too, and the game was declared a draw. Fremantle’s coach Chris Connolly and CEO Cameron Schwab stormed onto the field as Freo players protested with the umpires, who held their ground.

The result was finally decided days later when the AFL Commission declared the match in Fremantle’s favour, saying that the game finished on the initial blowing of the siren. Aurora Park’s siren system was upgraded, and the offending hooter is destined for a Tasmanian museum.

Moment #89: A ‘big’ 15 metres

MELBOURNE'S Jim Stynes was the footballer who gave “the Irish experiment” credibility, winning the Brownlow Medal in 1991 and breaking the VFL/AFL record for consecutive games played. But among all the praise and the footballing highlights came one monumental mistake.

Melbourne was leading Hawthorn in the last minute of the 1987 preliminary final when Hawk Gary Buckenara had a shot on goal from about 60m. As he was lining up, an unaware Stynes, in his first season of VFL football, ran across the mark, gifting Buckenara a 15m penalty. He duly converted and took his team into the grand final.

“There was no running, no hiding from the mistake I had made against Hawthorn,” Stynes wrote in his autobiography.

“I could not blame it on this or that. I could not blame it on the umpire, or on my teammates, or that the siren was not loud enough. It was my fault, my mistake.”

Remarkably, Stynes attributes his subsequent Brownlow win to that awful day.

“If I had not given Gary Buckenara that 15-metre penalty my attitude would not have been what it was in subsequent seasons. I would not have made the most of a rare opportunity to play Australian football at the highest level.”

Moment #90: Welcome to live TV

IT'S hard to believe in this era of close to billion dollar TV rights agreements, but in 1957 Melbourne's three television stations paid the princely sum of 50 pounds per game to telecast VFL matches.

Even then, each network was only able to show the last quarter of any game due to VFL concerns that broadcasts would cut into attendances.

They were permitted to film other games and show them on delay as long as they didn’t show more than 15 minutes of play.

TV and football trod warily in the early years.

Trial telecasts in 1956 were only shown to league officials and not the public. The first closed circuit trial telecast was of a South Melbourne-North Melbourne match.

Although still concerned about the impact on crowds, the VFL agreed to allow TV to go live in 1957 for that 50-pound fee. In 1958 the stakes were raised with each club guaranteed 500 pounds, as well as 90 pounds for radio rights.

But by the start of the 1960s live telecasts were off the menu again at VFL House, the league citing a 200,000 fall in crowds in the late 1950s as the reason. It took until 1977, and the live-into-Melbourne Grand Final telecast, for live broadcasts to again become the central features they are today.

Moment #91: Big Nick goes down

JOHN Nicholls has always maintained that there were bigger factors in the 1973 Grand Final than him being knocked out by Laurie Fowler.

But as an act of symbolism in flagging Richmond’s intent, the bone-jarring hit by Fowler on the Carlton captain-coach set the tone for a Tiger premiership.

Fowler was 179 cms tall and weighed 75 kgs compared to Nicholls, who was 189 cms and close to 100 kgs. It was a classic David and Goliath confrontation.

Fowler’s shoulder caught Nicholls high and dumped the big man on the MCG turf, where he lay motionless for at least three minutes.

Speaking about the incident a couple of years later, Fowler said: “I was keyed up at the time and all I remember is that I had my eyes on the ball. If Nick had run through me the whole thing would have been forgotten.”

Nicholls has always played down the impact of his felling and instead provided a more pragmatic reason for his club’s defeat, citing the absence of his team's two best rovers – Barry Armstrong with appendicitis and Trevor Keogh with a hamstring – as the factor that tipped the balance.

“Fowler skittled me and I don’t think that made all that much difference. I still say that with Keogh and Armstrong it would have changed dramatically because they are 25-30 kick men.”

Nicholls had been Richmond’s nemesis a year earlier on Grand Final day when he had kicked six goals and led the Blues to success.

Moment #92: Lost in a fog

THERE was nothing to suggest anything out of the ordinary about the weather in the first half of the Carlton-Fitzroy game of 1971.

It was sunny and there was hardly a breath of wind. Carlton’s Geoff Southby remembered a “bit of a cloud coming over Albert Park Lake” but players didn’t think too much of it.

By the time the players returned to the field for the third quarter, however, a dense fog had enveloped the ground. A picture of full-back Southby and his opponent Fitzroy’s Paul Shanahan staring into the gloom would come to symbolize the “Fog Match”.

Southby recalled: “You couldn’t see much more than 15 metres in front of you. Someone would emerge out of the fog and you would try to predict what was going to happen.”

Southby remembered that coach Ron Barassi had to send out the runner to see what the score was.

"One side of the ground would be really quiet and then on the other you’d hear a bit of noise because the ball was on their side," Southby said. "It was the most unique game I’ve played in."

The problems came whenever Southby kicked off after a behind.

“Swan McKay was always my prime target and I’d just listen for his voice and put it in that direction”.

Percy Jones reckoned that Vin Waite saw the opportunity to even up old scores. He whacked Norm Brown but unfortunately the umpire was nearby and gave the Lion ruckman a free that produced a goal